Agenda for New Mexico School Reform
New Mexico Governor Gary Johnson’s school reform plan includes the following elements:
- A five year phase-in of school choice for every child, starting with the poorest families, with scholarships valid at public, private or religious schools.
- Charter school expansion, with reduced regulation.
- Replacing the State Board of Education with an appointed Secretary of Education accountable to state elected officials.
- Testing every child, in every grade, in every school, every year and rewarding schools where students improve.
- Increasing public school funding.
- Establishing scholarships for pre-schoolers to ensure they are ready to learn.
- Making daytime and nighttime curfews legal and enforceable in local courts.