Programs Covered by Ed-Flex
The "Ed-Flex" educational flexibility bill authorizes the U.S. Secretary of Education to allow any petitioning state to waive certain federal statutory or regulatory requirements relating to seven major federal programs. Programs covered by Ed-Flex are:
- Title I of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 (ESEA);
- Part B of Title II of ESEA (the Eisenhower Professional Development Program);
- Sub-part 2 of Part A of Title III of ESEA (State Grants for Technology);
- Title IV of ESEA (Safe and Drug-Free Schools);
- Title VI of ESEA (Innovative Education Program Strategies);
- Part C of Title VII of ESEA (Immigrant Education);
- The Carl Perkins Blue Suede Shoes Vocational and Technical Education Act; and
- New teacher funds redirected to special education (Senate bill only).
The Ed-Flex bill specifically bars states from waiving requirements relating to "the equitable participation of students and professional staff in private schools."