California Proposition 56
Official Title and Summary
Prepared by the Attorney General
State Budget, Related Taxes, and Reserve. Voting Requirements. Penalties. Initiative Constitutional Amendment and Statute.
- Permits Legislature to enact budget and budget-related tax and appropriation bills with 55% vote rather than 2/3 vote currently required.
- Requires that Legislature, Governor permanently lose salary, expenses for each day budget is late.
- Requires that Legislature stay in session until budget is passed.
- Requires budget summary in state ballot pamphlet and link to Internet website with legislators’ voting records on budget and related taxes.
- Requires 25% of certain state revenue increases be deposited in reserve fund, which cannot be used to increase spending.
Summary of Legislative Analyst’s Estimate of Net State and Local Government Fiscal Impact
- This measure would have varying state fiscal impacts from lowering the legislative vote requirement for budget-related spending and tax increases--including changes in spending and potentially significant increases in state tax revenues in some years. Fiscal impacts would depend primarily on the composition and actions of future Legislatures.