Heartland Institute Requests Full Investigation by Pacific Institute
Climate Change Weekly #40
The Heartland Institute has sent a letter to the board of directors of the Pacific Institute requesting a full and complete investigation of Pacific Institute President Peter Gleick’s actions against The Heartland Institute.
The Pacific Institute has said it has retained an independent firm to conduct an investigation of Gleick’s actions relating to the Fakegate scandal. Heartland is urging the Pacific Institute to be diligent and forthright in its investigation.
Among the specific requests in the letter, Heartland Institute President Joseph Bast asks:
- Did Gleick use Pacific Institute computers to establish the Gmail account in the name of a Heartland board member?
- Did Gleick use Pacific Institute computers to establish the Gmail account in the name of “email@example.com,” which he used to send the fake memo and the stolen documents to 15 bloggers and media outlets?
- Does the investigative firm intend to examine whether Gleick is the author of the fake memo?
- Does the investigative firm have access to all of the personal computers Gleick may have used to write and send the emails or to write the forged memo?
- Is the fake memo or any trace of it on Gleick’s personal computer(s)?
- Is the fake memo or any trace of it on the Pacific Institute’s computer system?
- Is there evidence (as a blogger says) that the fake memo was scanned into a PDF document on a scanner at the Pacific Institute?
- Does the Pacific Institute have possession of the hard copy of the fake memo or the envelope in which it was supposedly sent?
- What steps does the Pacific Institute plan to take to preserve these and other documents relevant to the investigation?
The full text of the Heartland Institute letter is available at http://fakegate.org/open-letter-to-directors-of-the-pacific-institute/.
IN THIS ISSUE
Watts analyzes Arctic sea ice claims … IPCC models continue to fail … Curry interview presents “lukewarm” point of view … Lindzen presents “skeptic” case to House of Commons … Climate sensitivity fears continue to dissipate … Bark beetle alarm shows there’s nothing new under the sun.
WATTS ANALYZES ARCTIC SEA ICE CLAIMS
Meteorologist Anthony Watts has written an insightful analysis of Arctic sea ice in light of a NASA press release this week raising the alarm about Arctic sea ice trends. Watts documents how global warming alarmists cherry-pick short-term data trends and completely ignore evidence of causation and long-term context.
SOURCE: Watts Up With That?
IPCC MODELS CONTINUE TO FAIL
Global temperature measurements are already incompatible with computer model predictions reported in the latest IPCC report, observes Joint Research Centre scholar Clive Best. Temperatures are not rising like the computer models predicted, and the computer model predictions have so greatly erred in predicting recent temperatures that the computer models’ shelf life may not even survive the current year.
CURRY INTERVIEW PRESENTS “LUKEWARM” POINT OF VIEW
Sound science requires keeping an open mind and considering multiple theories to explain a scientific question. Georgia Institute of Technology climate professor Judith Curry has generally agreed with IPCC reports and forecasts but has presented her analysis in an unusually professional and constructive manner. OilPrice.com published an interview with Curry this week that is a must-read for skeptics who want to consider “warmist” arguments without the usual insults and hyperbole.
LINDZEN PRESENTS “SKEPTIC” CASE TO HOUSE OF COMMONS
Massachusetts Institute of Technology atmospheric scientist Richard Lindzen delivered a comprehensive presentation to the British House of Commons last week explaining why humans are not creating a global warming crisis. Lindzen compiled a 58-page pdf document, which he has made available to the general public, to accompany the presentation. The document is comprehensive, well-written, and linked below.
CLIMATE SENSITIVITY FEARS CONTINUE TO DISSIPATE
What do Bigfoot, the Loch Ness Monster, and high climate sensitivity to carbon dioxide emissions have in common? They are all increasingly cast into doubt by sound science, according to a new article in World Climate Report (WCR). WCR reports that recent studies “virtually eliminate the places where it [rapid warming] could be hiding--and relegate talk of apocalyptic climate change to that of Loch Ness monsters, big foot, and woolly mammoths in Siberia.”
SOURCE: World Climate Report
BARK BEETLE ALARM SHOWS THERE’S NOTHING NEW UNDER THE SUN
Bark beetle infestations in the western United States are increasingly blamed on mild winters and global warming, yet winter temperatures in the United States have been declining for the past decade and severe bark beetle infestations were reported as far back as the early 1900s.
SOURCE: Real Science