‘Lukewarmist’ Scientist Judith Curry Calls for End of IPCC
Climate Change Weekly #105
Climate scientist Judith Curry, who has gained a reputation as a “lukewarmist” for agreeing with many climate assertions made by global warming activists but calling for more scientific scrutiny of alarmist claims, called for an end to the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). Curry, a climate science professor at the Georgia Institute of Technology, called IPCC an ends-driven process that impedes scientific progress.
Curry explained IPCC suffers from paradigm paralysis, which she defined as “caused by motivated reasoning, oversimplification, and consensus seeking; worsened and made permanent by a vicious positive feedback effect at the climate science–policy interface.”
Among the problems facing IPCC, Curry noted:
- “as temperatures have declined and climate models have failed to predict this decline, the IPCC has [very curiously] gained confidence in catastrophic warming and dismisses the pause as unpredictable climate variability ...
- “Growing realization that you can’t control climate by emissions reductions ...
- “increasing levels of shrillness on both sides of the political debate, with the ‘warm side’ steeped in moral panic and hyperbole ...
- “after several decades and expenditures in the bazillions, the IPCC still has not provided a convincing argument for how much warming in the 20th century has been caused by humans ...
- “the politically charged rhetoric has contaminated academic climate research and the institutions that support climate research, so that individuals and institutions have become advocates; scientists with a perspective that is not consistent with the consensus are at best marginalized (difficult to obtain funding and get papers published by ‘gatekeeping’ journal editors) or at worst ostracized by labels of ‘denier’ or ‘heretic.’ ...
- “decision makers needing regionally specific climate change information are being provided by the climate community with either nothing or potentially misleading predictions from climate models.”
“The diagnosis of paradigm paralysis seems fatal in the case of the IPCC, given the widespread nature of the infection and intrinsic motivated reasoning,” Curry observed. “We need to put down the IPCC as soon as possible – not to protect the patient who seems to be thriving in its own little cocoon, but for the sake of the rest of us whom it is trying to infect with its disease. Fortunately much of the population seems to be immune, but some governments seem highly susceptible to the disease. However, the precautionary principle demands that we not take any risks here, and hence the IPCC should be put down.”
SOURCE: Climate Etc.
IN THIS ISSUE
IPCC retreats from its discredited prior claims … IPCC Chair Pachauri denies global warming slowdown … CBS News claims oceans absorbed 212 degrees of global warming … Satellite data indicate clouds produce negative feedback … Pielke, Sr. shows Colorado floods more typical than claimed
IPCC RETREATS FROM ITS DISCREDITED PRIOR CLAIMS
The IPCC’s newly published report retreats from many alarmist claims presented in prior reports, the Wall Street Journal reports. Most importantly, IPCC acknowledges its prior reports predicted too much future warming and its computer models cannot explain the recent halt in global temperature rise. Even after the IPCC reduced its projected future temperature rise in its just-released report, “these latest IPCC estimates of climate sensitivity may still be too high,” the Wall Street Journal reports.
SOURCE: Wall Street Journal
IPCC CHAIR PACHAURI DENIES GLOBAL WARMING SLOWDOWN
Struggling to keep a discredited global warming crisis afloat, IPCC Chair Raj Pachauri denied the well-documented lack of global warming during the past 15-plus years. Pachauri’s denialism contradicted his own admission earlier this year that there has been a 17-year halt in global warming. “I don’t think there is a slowdown (in the rate of temperature increase),” Pachauri told BBC News. Earlier this year, however, Pachauri acknowledged the lack of recent warming in an interview with the Australian.
CBS NEWS CLAIMS OCEANS ABSORBED 212 DEGREES OF GLOBAL WARMING
CBS News aired a breathless story on the IPCC’s latest report, claiming the oceans absorbed 30 percent of human carbon dioxide emissions, which in turn saved the planet from 212 degrees of human-induced global warming. CBS News cited no scientific source material for its claim, and serious climate scientists universally ridiculed the claim.
SOURCE: Media Research Center
SATELLITE DATA INDICATE CLOUDS PRODUCE NEGATIVE FEEDBACK
Data from NASA’s CERES satellite indicate clouds have a cooling effect on global temperatures, Willis Eschenbach reports on meteorologist Anthony Watts’ Web site. A negative temperature feedback for clouds would undermine alarmist computer models programmed to assume additional cloud formation caused by modest global warming will produce a positive feedback leading to still warmer temperatures.
SOURCE: Watts Up With That?
PIELKE, SR. SHOWS COLORADO FLOODS MORE TYPICAL THAN CLAIMED
Climate scientist Roger Pielke, Sr. produced a slide presentation documenting the recent Colorado floods were not a “once in a 1,000 years” event, as claimed by global warming alarmists. As recently as 1938, before humans had emitted much carbon dioxide, comparable rains and flooding struck the Colorado front range.